Port Hedland Startup Incubator
In an ongoing quest to empower positive change through community, The WEB Business Hub is excited to launch the Port Hedland Startup Incubator – Catalyst - starting next month.
Over a 10-week period from October to December, the program will guide startup founders, aspiring innovators and local entrepreneurs through a structured course of ideation and business planning, validation and prototyping which culminates in a special Pitch Night event later this year. Course commitment is Wednesday and Thursdays fortnightly (this is flexible and can be worked around home and business commitments).
Participants will be taken through five distinct program stages and achieve key milestones which are designed to help them build and develop their business in a systematic, customer-led way, while also equipping them with the skills required to take other ideas from conception to reality.
The keys activities and outcomes are each of those five stages are:
- Ideation and Business Planning — Develop a strong idea; outline the initial hypotheses which underpin your business model; introduction to the Lean Canvas business planning tool.
- Business Model Validation — Test assumptions so you can build a better product without spending a cent; learn to adapt and embrace change, pivoting step-by-step closer to a de-risked business model.
- Prototyping, Product & Business Development — Customer interviews; gathering evidence you are solving a real problem for an actual customer, and that you can also build a sustainable and scalable business; design and launch a real product, whether you’ve got technical skills or not.
- Selling Your Story — Framework to identify and attract potential co-founders and new team members; measuring what matters to ensure you are building momentum in your business.
- Pitching — Completed pitches for customers, mentors, co-founders and investors to be presented at Demo Day and Pitch Night events.
As well as providing a theoretical framework to launch a new business, participating entrepreneurs will be encouraged to develop and apply their skills in a real-world, practical setting; ensuring that the skills they learn over this program can be applied to future projects and business ideas. Participants will also get to network with industry experts, collaborate with other local entrepreneurs and creators, and have the opportunity to pitch their business to investors and potential customers at special “Demo Day” events at the end of the program.
Expert & Mentors
We are pleased to announce that change and communications expert, accomplished small business owner, and professional artist and teacher Helen Komene will bolster the incubator’s delivery team as their latest Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR).
Helen has applied her strong technical skills of the most appropriate change methodology and communications and demonstrated her ability to engage, collaborate and influence stakeholders at all levels with organisations
The program will include a series of workshops, group one-on-one coaching sessions and activities led by experienced startup incubation facilitator Sam Birmingham and local mentors.
Sam Birmingham is an accomplished member of WA’s startup community, having launched initiatives such as Startup Weekend and Coder Dojo WA, supported regional education and innovation programs in Perth and throughout the regions, from Bunbury to Port Hedland, as well as interstate and overseas before settling in as a key member of Australia’s original startup incubator, Pollenizer, working with hundreds of companies from the founder and small businesses stage all the way up to large multinationals.
You can register for the event Here